With a new year upon us, I thought I would take the opportunity to try out something different for my reading, and the Splash of Books blog. In 2018 I would like to complete a reading challenge that I made for myself, and I invite you to join me. I chose a reading challenge to help expand my reading, while still also allowing me to pick and choose my book based on my mood.
During the latter part of 2017 I tried to base my books on a theme each month. It mostly worked out, and I followed through for a few months. Then, I realized that I had no clue what to pick when a new month arrived, or I couldn’t figure out what genre or theme I would be willing to read for a whole month. This helped me realize I am more of a mood reader, along with a few mini Instagram conversations.
A few years past I tried to complete a reading challenge, and failed. Although, in my defense life got in the way that year and I had some major life decisions that limited the books, or library books available to me at a given time. This hindered my ability to complete the challenge, but I would like to give it another shot. This time I am looking to succeed and hopefully branch out some of my reading, while also knocking some books off of my growing TBR pile.
Enough about that, let’s get to the good part of the actual list itself. Here goes:
- A book that should’ve been read in high school
- A classic book
- A book published this year
- A book that has been sitting on the TBR pile the longest
- A book recommended by a friend
- A new author you’ve been meaning to check out
- A blind date for Valentine’s day
- A book by a Michigan author (or state you live in)
- A book most commonly mentioned on social media
- A book for personal development or growth
- A book for guilty pleasure
- An award winning/highly rated book
- A book that intimidates you
- A book that is out of this world
- A book with a cover in your favorite color
- A book you judge by the cover
- A book written by a famous actor/actress
- A scary book or mystery for Halloween
- An Orpah’s Book Club list pick
While the categories in this challenge are broad, I designed it this way for a reason. If I added to many limitations restricting what books fall into the category, I don’t think I would be as likely to complete it. Also, I don’t want to hinder any other readers from joining me either.
I would love for you to join me in this adventure. Or, if you would rather just follow along on the blog and Instagram as I embark on this adventure with the new year.